iWatch Cellular Technology in India: How to Connect & More
The iWatch cellular technology is a recent innovation by Apple that allows users to make and receive calls, texts, and stream music directly from their Apple Watch, without the need for a nearby iPhone.
It is made possible by the eSIM technology, a small electronic chip that is embedded in the watch and acts as a virtual SIM card.
The iWatch cellular technology comes with a variety of benefits, including increased independence from the iPhone, the ability to make and receive calls and texts while on-the-go, and the ability to stream music from popular services such as Apple Music and Spotify.
With this technology, Apple has created a more integrated and seamless experience for users, making the iWatch a more valuable and versatile device.
Table of Contents
The purpose of this blog post is to provide a detailed overview of how iWatch cellular technology works in India.
Specifically, it aims to inform readers about the cellular network support available in India, the process of setting up cellular service on iWatch, the features available on iWatch cellular in India, as well as any limitations of the technology
Availability of cellular network support for iWatch in India
The availability of cellular network support for iWatch in India has been steadily increasing since the technology was introduced by Apple. As of 2023, iWatch cellular is supported by 3 major cellular network carriers in India: Airtel, Vi and Jio.
Where Jio offers both prepaid & postpaid plans for iWatch cellular, Airtel & Vi carriers offer only postpaid plans, which include data, call, and text allowances.
However, it is important to note that not all cellular network plans are compatible with iWatch cellular. In order to use iWatch cellular in India, users must have a plan that supports the eSIM technology used by the watch.
Additionally, the iWatch cellular feature requires an iPhone 6 or later model, running iOS 13 or later, in order to set up and use the feature.
It is also worth noting that while iWatch cellular technology is supported by Airtel, Vi and Jio in India, coverage may vary depending on the user’s location and network availability. Users may experience limited network coverage in remote or less populated areas.
Overall, the availability of cellular network support for iWatch in India is steadily growing, with major network carriers now offering plans and support for the technology.
However, it is important for users to ensure that they have a compatible plan and device in order to use iWatch cellular in India.
Network requirements for iWatch cellular in India
In order to for you to use iWatch cellular in India, there are specific network requirements that must meet which are as follows:
- You must have a cellular plan that supports eSIM technology. Currently, only Airtel, Vi and Jio offer plans that support eSIM for iWatch cellular in India.
- You must have an iPhone 6 or later model, running iOS 13 or later, in order to set up and use iWatch cellular.
- The iPhone is required for the initial setup of the iWatch cellular feature, as well as for managing and controlling the device.
Steps for setting up cellular service on iWatch in India
Here are the step-by-step instructions for setting up cellular service on iWatch in India:
- Check that your iPhone and iWatch are both updated to the latest version of iOS and watchOS respectively.
2. Ensure that your iPhone has an active cellular plan with a carrier that supports eSIM technology for iWatch cellular in India, such as Airtel, Vi or Jio.
3. Open the Watch app on your iPhone and select the “Mobile Data” option from the menu. Then select setup mobile service.
If there’s an error, the error message will be given in grey text just below it. You can contact your sim provider for assistance.
4. If there is no such issue, proceed & login with your sim provider account info like account number & PIN to register your Apple watch.
After doing so, it will take you back to the “mobile service ” page with the name of the network that the mobile data is connected to with your iPhone.
After a few minutes you will get a notification that your watch is connected with your iPhone.
Now the Apple watch is ready to use without the iPhone nearby
iWatch Cellular Features in India
iWatch cellular technology connects to the user’s cellular network carrier to allow for internet access without the need of an iPhone being near you or wifi being turned on.
Here is an overview of some of the key features available on iWatch cellular in India:
- Make and receive phone calls: With iWatch cellular, you can make and receive phone calls directly from your watch, without needing to have their iPhone nearby. This feature is especially useful for users who are out and about or who want to leave their phone at home.
- Send and receive text messages: iWatch cellular also allows you to send and receive text messages directly from your watch, using either the built-in Messages app or third-party messaging apps like WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger.
- Stream music and podcasts: It also allows you to stream music and podcasts directly from your watch, using popular streaming services like Apple Music, Spotify, and Pandora.
- Use Siri: You can also use Siri on your iWatch to perform a variety of tasks, including making phone calls, sending text messages, setting reminders, and more.
- Access the internet: iWatch cellular also allows users to access the internet using cellular data, allowing them to browse the web, check email, and use apps that require an internet connection.
It is important to note that the availability of some of these features may depend on the user’s cellular network carrier and plan. Additionally, some features may use more data than others, which can impact your data usage and monthly bill.
Overall, iWatch cellular technology in India offers a variety of features that can enhance the user’s experience and provide greater convenience and flexibility.
Limitations of iWatch Cellular in India
All the things in the world, no matter how good they are, have some kind of downsides to them, the iWatch cellular technology is no different.
Here are some of the main limitations of the Apple cellular to be aware of:
- Limited compatibility: Not all cellular network carriers in India support iWatch cellular technology, which can limit the availability of the service in certain areas or for certain users. Moreover, only Jio & Airtel provides both postpaid & prepaid plans.
- Higher cost: Some apps may use more data than others, resulting in more data consumption & eventually, higher phone bill.
- Battery life: Using iWatch cellular technology can drain your watch’s battery faster than using it without cellular service. This means you may need to charge your watch more frequently.
Or you can check our 9 hacks to boost Apple watch’s battery life.
4. Limited functionality: While it allows users to make phone calls and send text messages, the features are somewhat limited compared to using a full-size smartphone. This may be a limitation for some users who rely heavily on their mobile device.
5. Dependence on network coverage: iWatch cellular technology relies on the strength of the cellular network in the user’s area. If the network coverage is weak, you may experience dropped calls, slower internet speeds, or other issues.
Overall, while iWatch cellular technology provides many benefits, it’s important to be aware of its limitations before using it in India. You should carefully consider whether the technology meets your needs and fits within your budget before making the switch.
Possible future improvements for iWatch cellular in India
- More carrier support: Currently, only a limited number of cellular network carriers in India support iWatch cellular technology. Expanding carrier support could improve the availability and reliability of the service.
- Better battery life: While iWatch cellular technology provides convenience, it also drains the battery faster. Improving battery life would allow us users to use the technology for longer periods without needing to recharge.
- Expanded functionality: While it provides basic phone and messaging capabilities, expanding the technology to include additional features, such as mobile payments or access to more apps, could make the technology even more useful.
- Lower costs: The current cost of using iWatch cellular technology in India can be high for some users. Partnering with telecom companies & lowering the cost of cellular plans or offering more flexible plans could make the technology more accessible and affordable for a wider range of users.
Though the technology behind the connectivity between the iWatch & iPhone is superb, the additional data consumption it demands & the rapid consumption of the iWatch battery which leads to charging it more frequently increasing the chances shortened lifespan can be a significant factor.
Personally, I wouldn’t go for the Apple iWatch, not just because of its price but also for the fact that I like to take my phone with me everywhere & don’t want to leave it at home which nullifies the main USP of the iWatch that you can do multiple things on it without having your iPhone nearby.
Well, that was just my opinion, you can tell yours in the comment section if you differ & if you have come this far, do check out our blog to know is iWatch actually worth the money?
iWatch cellular technology allows you to make calls, send messages, and use apps on your iWatch without needing your iPhone nearby. It works using cellular networks to connect to the internet and make phone calls.
Currently, only Jio, Airteo & Vi support iWatch cellular technology in India.
To use iWatch cellular in India, you need an iPhone 6s or later model and an active cellular plan that supports the iWatch cellular service.
Yes, using iWatch cellular technology will increase your monthly phone bill, as your data consumption will be increased.
Popular apps that are compatible with iWatch cellular in India include WhatsApp, Facebook, Spotify & Twitter.
Never miss any important news. Subscribe to our newsletter.